I am 52 years old. At night, suddenly I get up with cramps in my left calf. They stay only for one minute but it disturb my sleep. I am a healthy and I am not taking any medicines. Why do I get cramps? Do you have any medicines for cramps in homeopathy?
Leg cramps are common and the cause in not known in most cases. It is due to a muscle spasm when a muscle contracts too hard. It usually occurs in one of the calf muscles below and behind the knee. The small muscles of the feet are also sometimes affected. Many people have occasional leg cramps but they are more common in older people.
In most cases, cause for the cramps cannot be identified. It has variety of causative factors. It can be due to
- Low nutrition- vitamin or mineral deficiency
- Overexertion of the muscles.
- Sitting idle for a long time in improper posture where blood vessels get compressed.
- Dehydration from diarrhea, fever or any other disease or even with overdose of diuretics.
- Exposure to extremes of temperatures.
- High attitude where there is low oxygen supply.
- Excessive intake of coffee or drinks and excessive smoking.
- Pregnancy- usually in the later stages
The best treatment of muscle cramp is stretching and massaging the affected calf muscle. It usually relieves an attack of cramps. Painkillers can give some relief. Everyone knows that cramps are not an emergency, so no one goes for the treatment. If you get frequent cramps, that upset your normal activities, then it is advisable to see your doctor to find the cause.
People treat cramps in their own ways i.e. some with massaging external pain oils or balms/turpentine/camphor oil etc. which helps relieve the cramps. Frequent cramps can be easily treated with homeopathic medicine. Homeopathic medicines can help to balance the imbalance of salts and minerals such as calcium, sodium, or potassium. Most commonly used medicines are Magnesium Phosphate, Colocynth, Calc carb, Causticum.