I am 55 years old and I am on HRT(Hormone replacement therapy) for the past 1 year but I am still getting hot flushes. Because of that, I cannot sleep at night which makes me feel very tired. I get frequent headaches which do not respond to panadols. Do you think homeopathic medicines will help me for my problems?
You are going through menopausal phase. Menopause is a normal part of life in which a woman's biological clock stops ticking, signalling the loss of fertility and loss of sex hormones oestrogen and progesterone.
Oestrogen deficiency does not affect all women. Some women simply sail through menopause with no symptoms or emotional changes.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENOPAUSE
- HOT FLUSHES: One minute you may feel hot like an inferno, with an irresistible desire to pull off all the clothes and bedding and after few minutes you may feel cold and shivering.
- ACHES AND PAINS: You may begin to suffer various rheumatic aches and pains like your joints may ache, your back and neck may ache.
- VAGINAL DRYNESS: Genital areas can get drier and thinner which may make sexual intercourse painful. Vaginal infections can become common with or without urinary tract infection.
- BLADDER PROBLEMS: You may get frequent or urgent desire to pass urine.
- DRY AND AGING SKIN: Skin becomes less capable of retaining moisture and becomes more prone to dehydration and irritation and collagen depletion results in a more rapid appearance of wrinkles.
- POOR SLEEP: Oestrogen deficiency can affect sleeping patterns, so that difficulty going to sleep or early morning waking can set in.
- EMOTIONAL CHANGES: The most common complaints are depression, anxiety, mood swings, irritability, loss of confidence and panic attacks.
Homeopathy is a natural health care discipline that is person centred; meaning all aspects of a patient's make-up is assessed including the physical, emotional and mental.
Homeopathic medicines can help you reduce your hot flushes and can give you good night sleep. It can reduce your frequent headaches also. It may also help you to be in good mood.
Also with homeopathic medicines, it is recommended that women should take foods and herbs which naturally have more oestrogen like alfalfa, anise-seeds, apples, barley, beets, cabbage, cherries, chick-peas, corns, cucumber, fennel, flax seeds, garlic, liquorice, oats, olives, papaya, parsley, potatoes, pumpkins, plums, peas, rhubarb, rice, sesame seeds, soybean, sprouts, sunflower seeds, wheat.
Some Homeopathic medicines used in menopause are:
Lachesis, Pusatilla, Cimicifuga, Natrum mur etc. depending on the symptoms.